Latvia which is officially known as the Republic of Latvia is a country with a democratic parliamentary structure situated in the Baltic region in Europe’s North.It shares its land borders with Estonia, Lithuania, Russia, Belarus and by a coastal border to the west with Sweden. It has a unitary government of 118 divisions for administrative purposes with 109 municipalities and 9 cities.
A unique feature that stands out in the case of Latvia when students need to research about study in Latvia is that the education is administered at three levels.viz. the national, municipal and institutional. The policies regarding education are formulated by the Ministry of Education and Science and the elected members of the ministry.
Academic programs for higher education are based on the fundamental and applied science. Typically, they constitute a thesis at the end of every stage whether at the bachelor’s or the master’s. Although the structure and system seems to be complex to an outsider, the system ensures a tight framework that ensures that the graduate enters the professional world with the highest degree of competency thanks to the provision of study and research in Latvia This is applicable to both levels of higher education in the country.
There is an abundance of information that is available to students when they seek information on study in Latvia. For example, although as foreign students they may have to spend for higher education, the same is absorbed by the government if they are entering the Latvian higher education system as exchange students.
Latvia is known as the land that sings and Latvians claim that their country is a symphony of sounds, sights and experiences. The Latvian government has laid special emphasis on education and have made several educational reforms that have made it an ideal study abroad destination.
Latvia has both fee paying as well as state financed higher education opportunities in universities. For scholarship schemes a careful process of student selection is carried out so as to offer government aid to the most deserving students. There are two types of higher education programs offered in Latvia: Professional and Academic. Latvian universities offer both these programs, but there are several non-university type institutes in Latvia that offer only professional education to students.
The Bologna System is followed in higher education, which is divided into three distinct levels – the Bachelor’s studies, the Master’s studies and the Doctoral studies. A bachelor degree is awarded are either three or four years of regular study. A master’s degree on the other hand can be achieved only after receiving the Bachelor’s and completing further one or two years of study. In Doctoral studies, the students should have a master’s degree or an equivalent diploma. Doctoral studies can take anywhere from three to four years and involve advanced studies and the preparation of a Doctoral thesis.
The major reason why you should study in Latvia is the affordable education. The tuition fees and other living costs are lower as compared to several western nations. Engineering study in Latvia is very popular and the universities here are famous for producing high quality engineering and IT graduates. Latvia also has EU membership, so a degree from here is equivalent to that from any other EU country.
So you can still get an education in a European country with considerably cheaper living costs and other expenses.
- All academic documents should be apostilled (HRD and Ministry of External Affairs (MEA)
- Application should be duly filled.
- Payment of application fee along with the application (Application fee varies from University to University) (Application fee is non-refundable and Paying application fee does not Guarantee Admission)
- Get approval of admission from the University.
- Get approval from ACADEMIC INFORMATION CENTRE (AIC) LATVIA. (AIC approval takes 10 business days)
- After AIC approval pay tuition fee deposit (Tuition fee and Tuition fee deposit varies from University to University) Full Tuition fee deposited is completely refundable in case of visa refusal.
- Get Invitation letter to study in Latvia from the University.
- Book accommodation online as per university directions.
- Fill online visa application form and print the filled application form.
- All academic Certificates
- Experience letters (If any)
- Financial documents for Balance fee and Living Expenses ( It can be Educational loan from Banks / Scholarships / 3 Months old funds in Savings account )
- Sponsors income proof (If Sponsored by Parents / Siblings)(It can be salary slips Or form16/IT returns/agricultural income/Any other source of Income.)
- Invitation letter issued by University
- Accommodation booking confirmation
- Air Ticket Itinerary
- Travel Insurance for 1 year (cover of 30000 Euros)
- Visa application fee INR 4600 (Demand Draft in favor of EMBASSY OF LATVIA)
- No Visa appointment required for students.
- Walk in to EMBASSY OF LATVIA, NEW DELHI only on Tuesday/ Wednesday and Thursday
- Apply for short stay.
- Riga Technical University
- Transport and Telecommunication Institute ( TSI ), Riga
- Turiba University
- RTU Riga Business School
- University of Latvia
- BA School of Business and Finance
- Liepaja University
- Ventspils University College
- RISEBA (Riga International School of Economics and Business
- Latvian Academy of Sport Education
- Daugavpils University
- Latvia University of Agriculture (LLU)
- Riga Graduate School of Law
- Riga Stradins Medical University
- Rezekne University of Applied Science